Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Chapter 1



Early morning light trickled through the leafy curtain of the trees and struck me in the eye, demanding I rise to its glory. With an irritable huff, I shot a stream of flame towards the sky, trying to beat the sun at its own game, and, naturally, failing miserably. 

Fine. I am awake now. Are you satisfied?

My anger was directed at no one, and there was little use in keeping it up for appearance’s sake. The Dark Woods was occupied by only a handful of woodland creatures even at the best of times, and to be honest, I preferred it that way. This clearing was mine, and those that wished to take it would be sorely put out to find a dragon as their opponent.

I lifted my heavy body off the patch of twigs and leaves I had made into a bed, noticing that once again the pile near my snout had been burnt to a crisp. Some animals snore or growl in their sleep; I ignite my own bed. Very well, more leaves it is. But first, breakfast. As I looked around for something to eat, I saw my adversary from moments before waking the rest of the forest with its unrelenting spears of luminescence. The Dark Woods only allowed so much light through, but mornings were the exception and everything stirred as the forest awoke.

As I spotted a pair of owls lying on an upper branch about to fall asleep, I decided to take my revenge for having to wake up on them, and took to the air, twisting my long body upside-down as I extended my hind claws to snatch the birds. A quick moment later and the heads of both lay on the ground while their innards became my morning meal. Feeling better, I snorted another blast of fiery smoke to the sky, daring any animal to enter my territory and live to tell the tale. Satisfied that there were no acceptors of my challenge, I flew above the treetops, fully embracing the sunlight.
As I glided lazily in the spring breeze, I saw the mountaintops to the far west and the valley below. Over the last century I had explored almost every inch of the miles and miles that the Woods covered, but I dared not go too far beyond their borders; villages and towns lay beyond the trees’ edge and I knew firsthand the terror of a dragon. It may be my curse to be encased in this body, but I would make sure it was no one else’s.
The river that ran through the valley was fully occupied by the spring salmon, and several animals bent down at its banks to drink the water. Thirsty myself, I dove down, taking pride in the fact that the animals scattered under my shadow. There were definitely certain benefits to being the strongest beast in the forest. Smiling to myself, my long tongue lapped at the soft currents, washing the owl from my fangs and cooling my throat from the flames it had erupted with earlier. As I stared into the water, I saw my reflected face, which never ceased to surprise me. A hundred years later and I still expected the long hair and green eyes my mother had given me, and the snarky smile I had worked so hard on to impress the village maidens. But staring back at me were two red spheres of unrelenting terror, nestled in the brow of tough-as-armor scales that extended past my forehead and into my long, snake-like neck. I saw my serpent’s tongue dart in and out of the water, longer than even some small forest creatures, and the twin fangs that were too stubborn to stay hidden under the extended snout that curved to form my mouth. The beast staring back frightened even me, and suddenly my pride for scaring away my woodland cohabitants was not as rewarding. I splashed at the water angrily, knowing the reflection would return once the ripples settled. I decided not to be there when my refracted image was restored, so I turned away, splashing once more with my tail to give me a few more moments of solitude.
As I extended my wings to take to the sky again, believing that flying was the only true vice I could indulge in as a dragon, my sharp ears heard a rustling several yards away. It was rare that any animal would venture within a mile of me, and I turned sharply; ready to protect my space and, ironically, my watery likeness from those who might see what I saw. The noise grew louder, and it was clear this wasn’t a naïve rodent that didn’t know better. Whatever was making its way through the brush was doing so at a steady pace with a clear path, straight towards me, and it was not slowing down. I stood up completely, my wings spreading to the full span they encompassed, my eyes focused keenly on the trees before me. My ears heard the branches and leaves crackling, and I estimated a distance no more than two hundred paces between me and my opponent. I decided to fire a warning shot, spurting a thin, quick burst of flame towards the movement, but I could see it dissipated before reaching anything beyond the few trees in the way. No more than sixty paces now and the creature showed no signs of stopping. Another shot, this one more precise, fired at the area where a head would soon emerge. I saw nothing yet, but I had to have hit something. There was no cry or yell of pain, however, and my heart raced as I tried to imagine anything that would dare take on a dragon. Certainly nothing born in the forest, of that I was sure. Ten paces now and the shadow of my challenger became clearer and I stood on my hind legs, ready for a fight with whatever came my way. Five paces and each step pounded in my ears. Three, two, one…
“Hello, Thomas,” the witch said coyly.
I dove at her then, not even fully conscious of my actions, my beastly rage focused on a single prey. Nothing would stop me from tearing this monster apart. Claws extended, fangs ready to tear her in two, I used every muscle to careen at her and planned to make this the best kill of my life.
“Ah ah ah,” and she held up her hand.
You think that will stop me, hag? I’ll eat your hand first!
But I found that it was becoming harder to move, and I flapped faster to gain momentum. However I was slowing down, only a yard away from my prize. No! I strained my neck, extending it beyond its length, desperation replacing my rage.
You will not stop me!
“Thomas, darling, I can hear you,” she cooed as she tapped her temples. “In fact, I’m the only one that can, pet, so there is no need to shout, even with your thoughts. Now can we talk civilly? It’s been so long since we chatted. I want to catch up dear, so have a seat.”
And with a wave of her hand, I was tossed away from her onto the grass by the bank of the river. Shaking the disorientation away, I tried to lunge at her again, but found the air around me thickening, making every effort against it even more of a struggle, as if I was surrounded by molasses or honey. I glared at her fiercely, giving into the newest confinement, but only temporarily. The witch would not leave this clearing alive.
“How have you been, Thomas? Let’s see…it’s been almost a century now hasn’t it…have you adjusted to your new body nicely? I saw you staring at the water earlier. Tsk tsk, you should have no regrets dear. After all, wasn’t it you that wished to be immortal? And here you are, the perfection of form, function, and fear all in a cute little scaly box. Oh, I could just eat you up! Hahahaha!”
Her cackling hadn’t changed, and it brought me right back to the night I had been hexed. I turned and tossed again, trying to find a weak spot in the invisible cage that held me, but I knew better. The witch’s power was control over Nature, and for the moment I was held by the wind itself. I growled at her, but she took no fright from it.
What do you want, you fiend? Haven’t you done enough to me?
“Why Thomas, that hurts,” she pouted for a moment, and then flipped it into a wicked grin. “I thought you rather enjoyed being the most powerful man in the room. After all, that was what started this in the first place, is it not?”
Her smile grew into a sneer as she recalled the same night that was in my head. I stayed silent, knowing better than to be baited by her. Her eyes met mine for a moment, both of us trying to outmatch the other in hatred. She sighed and looked down, picking a wildflower and placing it in her scarlet hair.
“However, despite the lesson I’ve tried to teach you, it has indeed been a long time since we’ve seen each other, and I feel it is always proper to give a gift to old friends when reunited. Would you like to know what my gift is, Thomas?”
I suppose it’s too much to ask that you rip your own throat out so I don’t have to get my claws dirty with your blood?
She slanted her eyes at me then, the arrogant but beautiful features turning dark and evil. “That isn’t going to happen, boy, and the more threats you make the less willing I am to do anything nice for you at all. Understand?” Her words cut through the air, making each syllable a knife to my sensitive ears. My bravado lost, I simply nodded and looked away, and when I turned my eyes towards her again I saw that she was smiling at me once more, the motherly glow having returned.
“Now, my gift to you is truly special. However, as I said, it is proper to for reunited friends to give gifts to each other, so I feel that you should give in return. What do you think?”
I stared at her, waiting for her to go on, but it was clear that this was not a rhetorical question. She stared back, waiting for my answer before she continued. Knowing better than to anger her again, I decided to play along.
I don’t have anything to give. I wasn’t aware you were returning.
I delivered every word succinctly, taking care to make my anger known without riling her up. She smiled at me warmly, and for now, it seemed I had passed the test.
“That’s fair Thomas, and I’m not even hurt. But, a girl does like when a man shops around for her to find the perfect gift, don’t you know. I even wrote down what I wanted. If you get this for me, you can have your gift in return.”
She dug into her cloak then, finding a hidden pocket and pulled out a piece of paper, clearly torn from a letterbook. She stepped closer, and as she neared my anger turned to panic, and I struggled again to be free of my unseen bonds, fearful of what she would do to me.
“Shh, shhhh. Relax, my dear boy. I’m not going to hurt you. I feel I’ve done that enough, don’t you agree? I want to show you what I want you to get me.”
When she was close enough to reach out and touch the tip of my snout, she turned the paper around, and I saw on it an illustration of a girl. I looked at the witch, more confused than anything else, and when she saw my face she continued:
“This girl lives in the village where you and I had our…well, where you and I once lived, let’s leave it there. I returned there a short while ago after spending a long time away—you know all about that, don’t you—and she has caused me nothing but trouble since. I need her out of the way to take care of…some business, and I want your help in doing so. What do you say, pet? Oh, it would make me the happiest girl in the world, it truly would.”
Her sarcastic pleading dripped with an underlying tone of demand, but I was not about to give in so easily. The last thing I would ever do was trust her, and I made that clear.
What makes you think I would ever consider helping you, crone? I would sooner be turned into an insect than do any of your bidding. And you will never persuade me to bring a young girl into your schemes, you monster. For even suggesting such a terrible deed I will make your death agonizingly painful. Now release me and we’ll see just how magical you can be when fighting a dragon.
She watched me for a moment, her face turning sour as I threatened her again. But the smile returned quickly as she replied with, “But Thomas, I haven’t told you the rest of it, my dear. If you bring me this girl, and guard her in my tower until I can find a way to deal with her, I will give you your gift. And that gift, my pet…is your freedom from this inhuman prison.”
I turned towards her sharply, the bait she had laid clearly taken.
“That’s right, dear boy. I will reverse my spell. You can be human again.”
I closed my eyes, drinking in her words as she said each one. I would never willingly be her puppet, but for the opportunity to be rid of her curse….
I can’t risk the life of someone else. Find another pawn. I won’t have a girl killed on my behalf.
 It killed me to say the words, but I knew the last sliver of humanity I held within me was the ability to fight for others, and I wasn’t going to let the witch take it from me. Even if it meant staying a dragon forever.
She sighed, half-expecting that would be my answer. “Very well. Then I will offer this in addition: guard the girl from every danger, including me. You will be her protector, her caretaker, until I can find a way to, without hurting her, remove her from my plans. As long as you are the one keeping her safe, no harm will come to her. And in return, once I find a way to do what I need, she will be freed and so will you. Is that a fair deal?”
I hesitated, debating whether to trust her. This was a witch, after all, and look what she had done to me when I had gotten in her way. However I would be there to protect this girl, and the witch had promised….
As I weighed the options in my head, my gaze turned to the water next to me, and I saw my own human face, the brown hair and the pink cheeks, staring back. I knew it was a mirage, either from my own mind or the witch’s trickery, but the effect was the same.
We have a deal.
And with a flash, she was gone and my body was freed from the casing of the wind. I looked all around, trying to see where she had gone, but it was too late. As my eyes met the water once again, I saw the scaly snout and glowing red eyes staring back at me, unrelenting in their terror.

No comments:

Post a Comment